Sunday, August 01, 2004

Our security guys threw a 70's theme night party on Friday. They let me DJ their parties sometimes, which is a lot of fun, but 70's can be tough. Half the crowd wants Led Zepplin and the other half wants disco, and they're both right. What does one do? Fortunately, 70's also mean FUNK, which I love and is very crowd-pleasing. But the highlight of the evening was when one of the expat military guys walked up to the podium and asked me why I was playing Black Sabbath, "like dude, they're not 70's!" My contemporaries around the podium and I looked at this kid as though he'd just said that Jesus's native language was English. Gobsmacked, I asked him, "What year were you born, child?" He replied with a perfectly straight face, "1981." I should feel sorry for a person who was born into a world with no living John Lennon. But, no, suddenly this guy was facing a cluster of women over the age of thirty ready to strangle him. I sent him on his way with, "Boy, leave the music selection to people who were there, OKAY?!?!" And we spent the rest of the evening shaking our heads...perhaps banging them slightly.