Sunday, August 08, 2004

I haven't done much blogging this past week, as I'm sure you've noticed. Two factors are responsible: one, I'm still coughing up the occasional lungbunny; two, I can't avoid going to work and getting stuck there for long periods of time. The good news is that the guy who's taking over my contract arrives this week. This is good for many reasons, not the least of which is that I can actually relax and spend some time wrapping up all my loose ends, as well as give my replacement some time to adjust. Overlap is good.

It's time for an updated Purple Scare FAQ. You'll find the original in the June archive, if you haven't seen it before.

Q: When are you coming home?
A: We'll be home in two weeks. We should be back on our regular side of the Atlantic the evening of August 21.

Where are you going to live?
We've arranged a short-term rental so we aren't homeless when we land. We'll look for someplace more permanent once we're back. But we're looking around the same area we were in before, since it's convenient to my husband's workplace. With any luck, we'll have a place to move into before Bizzleburp makes his/her debut. For details and contact numbers, e-mail me at purplescareblog@yahoo.com.

Ah, Bizzleburp. Boy or girl?
Yes, it's one of those. We don't know which. At last week's ultrasound, the doctor said she was pretty sure she knew but we asked her not to spill the beans. We want it to be a surprise.

Are you registered anywhere?
Yes. E-mail me if you really want to know. But really, we aren't asking for a lot of stuff. The whole "not having a place to live" thing makes it hard to assess what we need vs what we have room for.

What are you looking forward to most when you get home?
Hard to decide. Seeing our families will be a big one, or course. Going to the movies without subtitles will be nice. For me, not having to go to work every day will be nice - though I expect to be busy looking for a home and a place to give birth. Voting will be nice. Drinking water from the tap without fear will be nice.

The other day it hit me that within 15 days I could be eating deli sandwiches and spicy onion rings with my big brother at one of our favorite neighborhood joints. I swear I almost cried. Damn hormones.

Anyway, that's all the news that's fit to print just now. Further bulletins as events warrant.