Sunday, October 10, 2004

Yo yo yo, we are in da house!!! Saturday was a busy day: the bed that was supposed to show up on Wednesday got delivered, and the phone guy who was supposed to be there on Friday came by to activate our phone. Never underestimate the power of pregnancy when dealing with commercial screw-ups: the bed store guy hadn't called and we had no idea when to expect them, so I showed up at the store in person on Thursday(they're only about two miles from our house). Sitting in the manager's office, looking heavy and tired, I explained to him that we needed this bed soon because it's costing us 100 bucks a night to stay in temporary housing and we'd really like to get settled in the new house because the baby's due date is next week. Dude called up the supplier, got us on the delivery roster for Saturday, and refunded us 200 bucks for all the trouble. I love being on this side of the Atlantic!!!
Friday was also abuzz with activity. A guy came over to assemble the Ikea "wall unit" - actually just three bookcases that sit next to each other, but which served as an entertainment center in a past life - which the geniuses at the moving company had completely disassembled two years ago. This poor SOB had to try to put the thing back together with half the hardware and all of the written instructions missing.
Yeah, the moving and storage company from our transfer to Europe really screwed up. Those Ikea units can be a bugger to assemble even with the instructions. I told the carpenter he could use duct tape to hold it together for all I cared. I'm just glad we finally have the bookcases together; I spent most of the day today emptying boxes of books that were cluttering up the living room. Hooray!
I've also been playing with baby gear. Saturday, in between deliveries and service calls, I assembled the swing, the playpen, and the stroller. I also figured out the car seat and carrier contraption. Yep, the nesting instinct is in full effect. Tomorrow, the nursery. Maybe. I might have to do something work-related (ugh) that I should wrap up before Bizzleburp arrives - because once the baby is here, I am probably going to completely forget about anything else.