Sunday, October 17, 2004

The baby's room is ready. Or about as ready as I can make it at this point, I guess. We assembled the crib, I've washed everything that Bizzleburp's delicate skin is likely to come into contact with, and we have multiple mobiles on standby to lull him or her to sleep.
Earlier in the blog I said I was not planning a theme for the baby's room for several reasons: we didn't know where we'd be living or how much space we'd have, we don't know the baby's sex, blah blah blah. Well, now we have a place to live and the baby has its own room, and I still didn't want to go all-out on a nursery theme because it seemed, well, kinda silly. The baby's not really gonna notice - at least for the first few months - and why spend an absurd amount of money on stuff that's mostly going to get pooped and spit up on?
Well, friends, I have caved in. Baby's crib now has a full set of the John Lennon "Real Love Collection" (or, as my husband calls it, the "Spinning in His Grave Collection") linens. Why? Because I adored John Lennon, because the little animals are cute and the color scheme is gender-neutral, and because the mobile plays "Imagine." I have exercised, I think, a great deal of restraint by limiting myself to bedding and a mobile, considering what else is out there. The diaper stacker and "Diaper Genie" cover seem just a bit over the top - though if I ever get truly ambitious I could see myself getting the wall borders...oh, stop me now!