Friday, September 30, 2005

It's not just me, right? Gigi and I were at our weekly "swimming" class yesterday. Okay, it's not really "swimming" - it's more like 'getting baby used to the water' class. The instructor is this earnest young guy who seems genuinely good natured about spending his evenings in a county rec center pool surrounded by neurotic suburbanite moms and their squalling, waterlogged offspring. One of the tricks Earnest uses to get babies comfortable in the water is to have all the mommies sing happy familiar songs. He starts us off with a few rounds of "Row Row Row Your Boat" or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" then asks each mom to pick a song in turn.
Today it was my turn and so help me God if I heard "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round" one more time I was going to puncture my eardrums with an icepick. So when Earnest asked me which song I wanted, I said, "How about some Elvis?" Thus I led my soaking sisters in a rousing chorus of "Wise men say/only fools rush in..." I'd like to think that the appalled ones were outnumbered by the relieved. Come on, even Mother Teresa would have packed it in after the 20th round of Variations on a Theme of 'When You're Happy and You Know It'.