Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Heisenberg Principle, as applied to infants: I am ridiculously enamored of the coos and burbles that emerge from my daughter's mouth. Sadly, she will not make these sounds forever. So I dusted off an ancient camcorder to record my little girl's "cute noises" for posterity. Armed with my device, I stalked our subject in her common habitat (a playmat with lots of colorful dangling toys), where she frequently vocalizes while batting at Monkey or Giraffe. I switched on the camera and --
Silence.
I circled the mat, finger poised above the "record" switch, until the battery light started its countdown to shutoff. No luck. I shut off the camera and put the battery back in the charger. As it clicked into place, a different sound came from over my shoulder: "Goooo...ga! Ahoo..."