Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy New Year!!! Yeah, I know, I see the date too. Don't get me started about the reliability of our DSL and the fact that Internet Explorer seems to exist for the sole purpose of cheesing me off.
The big development of the week is that I am officially off the payroll now. Yep, for the first time in over thirteen years, I am not earning a paycheck. During the months between my return to this side of the Atlantic and now, I was burning up paid leave. I went into HQ two weeks ago to do the paperwork, and here I am, sabbatical commencing. I wanted this more than anything in the world a year ago. Now I'm scared to death. No income? We're paying this mortgage on my husband's salary alone? And oh yeah, there's a baby to feed?
At the same time, it's very exciting. Beholden to no one, no performance reviews, no micromanagement, no bureaucracy, no alarm clocks. (But then, who needs alarm clocks when you have a hungry infant at 4 a.m.?)
Okay, I have one boss. She is unpredictable, demanding, can not be reasoned with, and I am constantly cleaning up after her messes. And I love her more than life itself.
Happy New Year, indeed.