Sunday, July 30, 2006

I admit it. I keep saying that "It's Just Stuff" and really it doesn't matter if it all arrives in shards and smithereens, there's nothing we can't live without or replace, blah blah blah. I kept saying before we left, "We have money, tickets, passports, and each other. Everything else is just details." It was a good little mantra.
The real challenge to me in keeping up this Zen and The Art of International Transfers mentality will be the arrival of our air shipment, which contains my birthday present, my only, my Precious...the laptop.
The computer I'm using now is my husband's telecommuting machine. For my birthday, my husband got me a lovely lovely new laptop of my very very own, which I hope will make it easier for me to keep up with the blogging. But we could only carry one computer onto the plane with us, and his gets priority. (Our other carryons were the diaper bag and the cat. My husband would have argued that the cat could get bumped, but I wasn't going for it.)
Anyway, I've been hoping that our air freight would be here by now. My fear is that it won't arrive by Wednesday. We're coming up on a holiday weekend here, and island time being what it is, as of Thursday the whole place is going to be shut down. Think SuperBowl Sunday, or the Stanley Cup perhaps, or the NCAA Final Four. Nothing is going to get accomplished after Wednesday at noon, I'm quite sure. And that means one more week before we get the baby's crib, her wading pool, a few more changes of clothes, and oh yesssss my precious...