Sunday, November 02, 2008

I Really Should Be in Bed Right Now

But jet lag is an ugly thing.

And politics is uglier.

In 48 hours, the U.S. election will, Buddha willing, be to all intents and purposes over. For better or for worse.

I've just sat through another ad linking Obama to some of the more controversial remarks made by his former pastor.

Wasn't that issue over and done months ago?

And would they mind terribly if we made an ad about the wacky witch-hunting dude praying over Sarah Palin?

As much as I want this whole mess to be over and done with, I am still afflicted with RedSoxNationitis: the fear of exuberant victory. I dare not be optimistic. I dare not express the hope of what would clearly make me deliriously happy. To speak of this joy would be to kill it in its cradle.

So I have to listen to the ugliness, the stupidity, and falsehoods, to keep me from getting too excited about the prospect of an Obama victory.

I can only take a few more days of this. Please, jet lag, knock me out for the worst of it.

Peace.

And wait 'til next year.